Sunday 18 November 2018

In the Words of The Beatles...

Yep as said by the Fab Four all those years ago, 'I get by with a little help from my friends'. Needless to say, the last couple of months have been harder than I ever imagined. Im still ploughing through, still giving my course everything I can and just trying to come to terms with the way my body is feeling. What has hurt me the most is coming to terms not being able to do things I really took for granted; I mean I used to walk everywhere and now I can hardly get up the stairs without my legs aching. ALL THIS IS JUST NOT ME.

You know that I like to keep it positive, so here it comes, the light in all my gloom that has got me through the last few weeks and the focus of my blog this week... The wonderful group of people that I get to call friends. Things have changed really quickly since the summer, I've met so many new people and formed closed bonds with older friends. I guess what I've learnt is that everyone is fighting their own battles, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't share yours with them.

So in September I was thrown in with a whole new group of people when I started my teaching course, we all came from different walks of life and had all had different experience that led us to want to be part of the course. For me new groups can always be disconcerting, should I mention my NS? Then there's the worry that as soon as we become friends on facebook they will find this blog anyway. When I'd started Uni of Lincoln, things with my illness were very different, it didn't seem to impact on my life as much as it does now, it was far easier to keep things to myself until people asked. However, this time was different and I decided honesty was the best policy from the off. At the induction day I was swelled and had no ankles so it was pretty easy for people to see I wasn't 100%.

I do not think I will ever get over the response I've had from my new friends. I've had messages to check that I'm okay, offers to come to meetings with me so I don't feel overwhelmed and a friend who gives lifts as I'm not feeling very confident driving as I'm constantly so tired. My friends have been willing to listen to all my issues and have even took the time to read this blog. What has really stuck me is that it doesn't matter how long you've known someone, if they care you will soon know.

Equally, my friends have taught me that everybody is fighting their own battles and the ones who take the time to try and understand are often those who are dealing with the most. I was proud that a friend felt she could confide in our group and share something she had kept quiet,  but felt she could talk to us.  She is going to make the most fantastic teacher and is honestly one of the nicest people on this planet. Just goes to show no one has it easy. Another friend, who has been my best friend throughout uni, has been through the most awful few months. Despite of all this, she is there for me whenever I need her, always checks up on me and is always able to cheer me up. I have so much to thank all these people for, the more time you spend with strong people, the better they make you feel.

We all know that this journey is far from an easy one. However, if you are surrounded with people kind enough to help you things tend to feel easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment